The Hyperledger Charter states that the TSC is responsible for:
coordinating the technical direction of the Hyperledger Foundation;
approving project proposals (including, but not limited to, incubation, deprecation and changes to a project’s charter or scope) in accordance with a project lifecycle document to be developed, approved and maintained by the TSC;
creating sub-committees or working groups to focus on cross-project technical issues or opportunities;
communicating with external and industry organizations concerning related technical matters;
appointing representatives to work with other open source or standards communities;
establishing community norms, workflows, or policies for releases;
discussing, seeking consensus, and where necessary, voting on technical matters relating to the code base that affect multiple projects; and
establishing election processes for Maintainers or other leadership roles in the technical community that are not within the scope of any single project.
TSC members are expected to:
- Subscribe to the TSC mailing list and the Hyperledger Github organization to stay aware of the TSC related updates and issues.
- Regularly participate in the TSC Meetings
- Review the TSC Project Updates and comment as needed in a timely manner
- Bring up and help resolve any issues related to the needs of the Hyperledger technical community
- Participate in, and optionally chair, the Task Forces set up by the TSC to address specific issues
- Attend one project meeting a month for a project with which they are unaffiliated and have not been a contributor (and, ideally, one that they have not attended before). See TSC Issue #21.
- Act as stewards for Hyperledger promoting and helping grow the organization and its activities by engaging of their own accord in activities such as posting on social media, responding to questions raised in forums, helping new community members find their way around, and giving talks at conferences on Hyperledger related topics.
The TSC Chair has the following additional responsibilities:
- Running the TSC meetings, such as the TSC calls per the agreed upon schedule. This includes: setting up and publishing an agenda, running the meeting, and ensuring any outcome is duly recorded
- Representing the TSC, and more broadly the Hyperledger technical community, on the Governing Board, and give updates to the Governing Board on TSC activities
- Giving a TSC update at the Hyperledger Global Forum
- Giving a TSC update at the Hyperledger Member Summit
- Representing the Hyperledger technical community externally, including presenting at conferences and responding to press inquiries, in coordination with the Hyperledger staff
The TSC Vice Chair has the following additional responsibilities:
- Running the TSC meetings when the chair is unable
- Reaching out to projects when they miss submitting their TSC Quarterly Project Update to remind the projects that they have a report due